Monday, September 8, 2008

When People are Big and God is Small - Edward T. Welch

**
This book struck a cord with me, unfortunately not a very happy one. While I agree with most of the principles in this book, it failed to convince me that someone following it's dictums would be less judgmental and more grace-filled than those in my past who would have loved it's proclamations. And although I know he was directing the thrust of his argument against the self-obsessed instant gratification normative we find in our surrounding culture, taken to extreme and without love (as I have seen them in the past) , these teachings can be more alienating and divisive than helpful. I would love to see people embrace his teaching personally, I just hope they don't use it as an excuse to start "fixing" others as if they could discern the inner workings of another persons soul. I would love to see an edition with warnings about falling into the trap of judgmental meddling!

2 comments:

Erin said...

I think I know what you are talking about here, Ju. But, don't you think that the tendancy to be judgemental of each other stems from our sin nature, not a particular believe? Whatever a person believes, they tend to judge those who don't "see the light".

Erin said...

uh.. I meant "particular belief"! Oops!