Wednesday, August 8, 2007

Addicted to Mediocrity, Contemporary Christians and the Arts - Franky Schaeffer

***
Whether this book struck me as a sermon to the choir because Christian society in general has embraced Shaeffer's message or just because it is one of my pet causes and I have surrounded myself with its sympathizers is still unclear to me. Written in an easygoing, approachable style (for those of you anticipating the philosophical apologetics of Shaeffer senior, another tree must be found up which to bark) I found the illustrations insightful yet they seem to scream of the 80s era and (in my "humble" opinion) provide a ironic example of exactly the type of art Shaeffer is sermonizing against; one must only glance at the cover art to witness this phenomena. Despite its apparent contradictions the book has a valuable and applicable message. If you don't feel like you've already been beaten over the head with it, it will definitely be worth the couple of hours it takes to digest its contents.

No comments: